Inprosec through its services, such as the SAP Security Assessment, helps its customers to improve the security levels of their SAP systems.
February 2022 notes
Summary and highlights of the month
The total number of notes/patches has decreased compared to last month. In addition to this reduction in the total number of notes, the number of Hot News is also reduced, with 20 notes last month compared to 9 in February. On the other hand, it should be noted that the number of highly critical notes has been reduced from 6 to 3 this month. As usual, we will leave the medium and low scores unchecked this month, but we will give details of a total of 12 scores (all those with a CVSS of 7 or higher).
We have a total of 22 notes for the whole month, 13 less than last January (19 from Patch Tuesday, 14 new and 5 updates, being 16 less than last month).
We have 9 Hot News, 5 new and 4 updates, in this month, which stand out for their great relevance and high CVVS. In addition, we will review in detail 3 of the total of 3 high notes (those of CVSS greater than or equal to 7) where this month we located 2 new and 1 update.
- The most critical notes of the month (with CVSS 10) would be a total of 8 with this CVSS that would be affecting SAP NetWeaver, SAP Content Server, SAP Web Dispatcher, SAP Commerce, SAP Data Intelligence 3, SAP Dynamic Authorization Management, Internet of Things Edge Platform, SAP Customer Checkout, Apache Log4j 2 component and the usual Google Chromium update note.
- Next in criticality (CVSS 9.1 and CVSS 8.7) are a Hot News and a High Note. The first would be affecting SAP Solution Manager and the second would be a vulnerability that would be affecting the F0743 (Create Single Payment) application of SAP S/4HANA.
- Finally, we have two high notes (CVSS 8.1 and CVSS 7.1), related to SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java and SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP (Workplace Server), respectively.
- The rest (10) are medium and low level, and we will not see them in detail.
- This month the most predominant type is “Remote Code Execution” (5/22 and 5/19 in patch day), followed by Information Disclosure (4/22 and 2/19 in patch day).
In the graph we can see the ranking of the February notes in addition to the evolution and ranking of the last 5 previous months (only the notes of Sec. Tuesday / Patch Day – by SAP):
The full details of the most relevant notes are as follows:
- Request smuggling and request concatenation in SAP NetWeaver, SAP Content Server and SAP Web Dispatcher (3123396): This security note will be related to the vulnerability of SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP, SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java, ABAP Platform, SAP Content Server 7.53 and SAP Web Dispatcher for request smuggling and request concatenation. Due to that, an unauthenticated attacker can prepend a victim’s request with arbitrary data. This way, the attacker can execute functions impersonating the victim or poison intermediary Web caches. A successful attack could result in complete compromise of Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of the system. The correction requires patching both SAP Web Dispatcher and SAP Kernel, where the patch solves the security issue completely. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (CVE-2022-22536).
- Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in SAP Commerce (3142773): This security note will be related to the vulnerability of SAP Commerce, as it uses a version of Open Source component Apache Log4j which has vulnerabilities. This vulnerability affects all installations of SAP Commerce, in particular SAP Commerce Cloud in Public Cloud, SAP Commerce Cloud in SAP Infrastructure, and SAP Commerce OnPrem. SAP Commerce addresses these vulnerabilities by upgrading the open-source log4j library that is shipped with SAP Commerce. The new library version, log4j 2.17.1 or later, does not have the listed vulnerabilities anymore. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (CVE-2021-44228).
- Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in SAP Data Intelligence 3 (on-premise) (3130920): This security note will be related to the vulnerability of SAP Data Intelligence 3 (on-premise), as it uses a version of Open Source component Apache Log4j which has vulnerabilities. The internal usage of a vulnerable log4j can be exploited to run arbitrary code as an unauthenticated user. There are two possible solutions, depending on the version of SAP Data Intelligence. For SAP Data Intelligence 3.1, the installation of patch 3.1.9 will remediate the risk and for SAP Data Intelligence 3.2, the installation of patch 3.2.2 will be the one to remediate the risk. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (Multiple CVE´s).
- Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in SAP Dynamic Authorization Management (3139893): This security note will be related to the vulnerability of SAP Dynamic Authorization Management by Nextlabs, which uses a version of Open Source component Apache Log4j 2 which is vulnerable to remote code execution. The solution is different depending on the use of Windows or Linux. On the one hand, for windows, the solution will be to download and extract the utility package (log4j_vulnerability_fix_windows.zip), attached to the note. On the other hand, for Linux, download and extract the script files (log4j_vulnerability_fix_linux.zip), also attached to the note. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (CVE-2021-44228).
- Update – Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in Internet of Things Edge Platform (3132922): This security note will be related to the vulnerability of Internet of Things Edge Platform, which uses a version of Open Source component Apache Log4j 2 which is vulnerable to remote code execution. The solution is to upgrade the Edge Platform to the latest version (4.75.3), where Log4j is updated to v2.17.1. It is important to download the latest version from SAP Market Place. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (CVE-2021-44228).
- Update – Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in SAP Customer Checkout (3133772): This security note will be related to the vulnerability of SAP Customer Checkout, as it uses a version of Open Source component Apache Log4j which is vulnerable to remote code execution. SAP Customer Checkout – POS and manager – versions 2.0 FP11 PL06 (or lower) and 2.0 FP12 PL04 (or lower) and lower versions like FP09 and FP10 are using Apache Log4j which has Vulnerabilities. Therefore, the above mentioned security vulnerability applies for SAP Customer Checkout and SAP Customer Checkout manager. To prevent exploiting this vulnerability, update to one of the following versions mentioned below which uses a newer version of Apache Log4j (SAP Customer Checkout 2.0 FP11 PL08 or higher/ SAP Customer Checkout 2.0 FP12 PL06 or higher). Besides, customers on SAP Customer Checkout 2.0 FP09 and SAP Customer Checkout 2.0 FP10 can also update to SAP Customer Checkout 2.0 FP11 PL08 or higher, or SAP Customer Checkout 2.0 FP12 PL06 or higher. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (CVE-2021-44228).
- Central Security Note for Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component (3131047): This security note will be the central document to consolidate information on the Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component (CVE-2021-44228). Please refer to the solution section for the list of SAP Notes/KBAs with workaround and Security Notes released by SAP addressing this vulnerability. This security note will be a living document that will be updated regularly. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (CVE-2021-44228).
- Update – Security updates for the browser control Google Chromium delivered with SAP Business Client (2622660): This security note addresses multiple vulnerabilities in the 3rd party web browser control Chromium, which can be used within SAP Business Client. This note will be modified periodically based on web browser updates by the open source project Chromium. The note priority is based on the highest CVSS score of all the vulnerabilities fixed in the latest browser release. If the SAP Business Client release is not updated to the latest patch level, displaying web pages in SAP Business Client via this open source browser control might lead to different vulnerabilities like memory corruption, Information Disclosure and the like. The solution will be to update the SAP Business Client patch to the newest one, which contains the most current stable major release of the Chromium browser control, which passed the SAP internal quality measurements of SAP Business Client. CVSS v3 Base Score: 10 / 10 (Multiple CVE´s).
- Missing segregation of duties in SAP Solution Manager Diagnostics Root Cause Analysis Tools (3140940): Due to missing segregation of duty, SAP Solution Manager allows an attacker with admin privileges to browse files and execute code that can be executed on all connected Diagnostics Agents over the network. On successful exploitation, the attacker can completely compromise confidentiality, integrity and availability of the system. The solution to this vulnerability will be to apply the latest LM_SERVICE version containing the fix decribed in SAP Note 3145008, and also apply the SAP Note 3137764 to remove the links to the applications from the SAP Solution Manager Launchpad. CVSS v3 Base Score: 9.1 / 10 (CVE-2022-22544).
- Update – Multiple vulnerabilities in F0743 Create Single Payment application of SAP S/4HANA (3112928): It patches a Cross-Site Scripting and a Code Injection vulnerability in the Create Single Payment app of S/4HANA (app ID F0743). This app is used by accounts payable accountants through SAP Fiori (SAPUI5). It allows them to make a direct payment to a supplier when no invoice exists as well as pay open supplier line items. The two vulnerabilities existed because uploaded and downloaded files were not checked by the app. The first vulnerability allows an attacker with basic user rights to run arbitrary script code, resulting in sensitive information being disclosed or modified. The second one enables an attacker with basic user rights to inject dangerous content or malicious code which could result in critical information being modified or completely compromise the availability of the application. This SAP Security Note implements the Virus Scanner Interface (VSI) that checks a file during upload and download. This feature, however, relies on the antivirus software being installed, configured, and enabled on the server. The crucial part of the solution is proper configuration of the VSI via the definition of the default VSCANPROFILE (because the application uses the default VSCANPROFILE). To configure it, follow instructions described in the SAP Note “3052386 – FAQ | Virus Scan Interface (VSI)”. Configure the required components to enable the correct function of the VSI. CVSS v3 Base Score: 8.7 / 10 (CVE-2022-22531).
- HTTP Request Smuggling in SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java (3123427): SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java is vulnerable to HTTP request smuggling. Due to this vulnerability, an unauthenticated attacker could submit a crafted HTTP server request which triggers improper shared memory buffer handling, which could allow the malicious payload to be executed and hence execute functions that could be impersonating the victim or even steal the victim’s logon session. Besides, due to improper error handling, an attacker could submit multiple HTTP server requests resulting in errors, such that it consumes the memory buffer, which could result in system shutdown rendering the system unavailable. These vulnerabilities have been fixed by proper memory handling for HTTP pipeline requests. This correction is contained in all patch levels that are equal to or higher than the patch level listed in the “Support Package Patches” section of this SAP Note for the desired kernel release. CVSS v3 Base Score: 8.1 / 10 (CVE-2022-22532).
- SQL Injection vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP (Workplace Server) (3140587): SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP (Workplace Server) allows an attacker to execute crafted database queries, that could expose the backend database. Successful attack could result to disclosure of table of contents from the system, but no risk of modification possible. The problem is caused by an SQL injection vulnerability. The code composes a SQL statement that contains strings that can be altered by an attacker. The manipulated SQL statement can then be used to retrieve data from the database. The correction changes the SQL statement with dynamic WHERE clause into a SQL statement with static WHERE clause. This solution is contained in the Support Packages referenced by this note. In addition, correction instructions are available. CVSS v3 Base Score: 7.1 / 10 (CVE-2022-22540).
Reference links of the CERT of the INCIBE in relation to the publication of the notes for February:
Other references, from SAP and Onapsis (February):
- Internet of Things Edge Platform, versión – 4.0;
- SAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer , versión – 9.0;
- SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise , versión – 16.0;
- SAP Business Client, versión – 6.5;
- SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence (BI Launchpad) , versión – 420;
- SAP Commerce: versiones – 1905, 2005, 2105 y 2011;
- SAP Content Server, versión – 7.53;
- SAP Customer Checkout, versión – 2;
- SAP Data Intelligence, versión – 3;
- SAP Dynamic Authorization Management, versión – 188.8.131.52, 2021.03;
- SAP ERP HCM (Portugal): versiones – 600, 604, y 608;
- SAP NetWeaver (ABAP y Java application Servers): versiones – 700, 701, 702, 731, 740, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755 y 756;
- SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java: versiones – KRNL64NUC 7.22, 7.22EXT, 7.49, KRNL64UC, 7.22, 7.22EXT, 7.49, 7.53, KERNEL 7.22, 7.49 y 7.53;
- SAP NetWeaver Application Server para ABAP (Kernel) y ABAP Platform (Kernel) : versiones – KERNEL 7.22, 8.04, 7.49, 7.53, 7.77, 7.81, 7.85, 7.86, 7.87, KRNL64UC 8.04, 7.22, 7.22EXT, 7.49, 7.53, KRNL64NUC 7.22, 7.22EXT y 7.49.
- SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP (Workplace Server): versiones – 700, 701, 702, 731, 740, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756 y 787;
- SAP NetWeaver y ABAP Platform: versiones – KERNEL 7.22, 8.04, 7.49, 7.53, 7.77, 7.81, 7.85, 7.86, 7.87, KRNL64UC 8.04, 7.22, 7.22EXT, 7.49, 7.53, KRNL64NUC 7.22, 7.22EXT y 7.49;
- SAP S/4HANA (Supplier Factsheet y Enterprise Search para Business Partner, Supplier y Customer) : versiones – 104, 105 y 106;
- SAP S/4HANA: versiones – 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 y 106;
- SAP Solution Manager (Diagnostics Root Cause Analysis Tools), versión – 720;
- SAP Web Dispatcher: versiones – 7.49, 7.53, 7.77, 7.81, 7.85, 7.22EXT, 7.86 y 7.87;